12.20.2008

PUPPIES!!!



We have 7 puppies! There are only 5 in that first picture. Duchess is a great mommy. Her puppies are gorgeous! I dont' know what more to say about them... The second picture is my dad sitting and watching - I was sitting beside him. We don't do much, just help out... well he does - I'm afraid to touch them LOL We just keep an eye on her to see how often she is having them and to see if she needs any help. Also, sometimes momma's will bite the umbilical cord too short and we're there with string just in case we have to tie it off to stop the bleeding... or else the pup will bleed to death. We only had to tie the first one, she did a great job on all of the others.

She started having them at 2:45pm and had them pretty much on the hour except for the 3rd pup, which was born 8 minutes after the 2nd!!

The 5th puppy was born around 5:30pm and she didn't have anymore, so we figured she was done... it was already past 11pm and my dad checked on her once more and got things covered because a Northern front had come through. I went to check on her at 12:40am and I noticed it looked like way more than 5 puppies. I counted... 1, 2, 3, 4, 5... 6, 7 (WHAT!?!) so I looked around the box and there was an 8th! but he was off to the side and he was not alive :(

We think that maybe he was still-born and he was holding up the show and it took her from 5pm til midnight-ish to get him out, and the other 2 followed right behind him, because 3 puppies in an hour is rare.


I wish these pictures posted in the order I uploaded them and not from the bottom up. Oh well! Expect more pics :)





1 comment:

Barbara_in_COviaWA said...

awwwww...so dang cute! So sorry momma lost one. It may have been stuck or something. You're lucky the other 2 didn't die. Very cute!
How did you get the Hatchling Nest on your blog? I tried that but it said there was an error and would not load.

word of the hour:bangsio LOL!